Search This Blog

Monday, May 2, 2011

So I guess this makes me a Lokean

A few months ago right around new years something very strange happened to me I found out a certain Norse trickster god had taken an interest in me and my family. The funny thing in all of this is until about a year ago I knew next to Nothing about Loki other than he was a god from the Norse pantheon. I had never had any interest in Norse mythology or Vikings or any of the normal paths people take to finding themselves claimed by or drawn to a particular deity. Nope for me it just couldn't be anything that normal. No you see from the very first episode I have been a die hard fan of the show Supernatural. First I was a Dean girl then Castiel showed up and I had a serious crush on the blue-eyed socially awkward angel and the actor who played him, who can blame me Misha Collins is a totally hottie. But a fan favorite had always been a minor character who for several seasons had only been known as the trickster. His episodes were always hilarious he put the Winchester boys through hell even killing Dean over and over in increasingly Loony Tunes like ways including dropping a piano on him just to teach his brother Sam a lesson. He also tortured a college frat boy by having him think he had been abducted by aliens and probed over and over again before being made to slow dance with one to the song lady in red. All this probably sounds very strange to anyone not a fan of Supernatural and you are probably asking what in the hell does this have to do with Loki well I'm getting there eventually just going a bit fangirl before I get there if anyone is curious the episodes relating to Loki and his portrayal as the Trickster are Tall Tales, The Mystery Spot, Changing Channels and Hammer of the Gods all excellent and very amusing episodes. Now back to my story so first I was a Dean girl then a Cas girl and then Kripke and the writers pulled a fast one on us the Trickster was actually the archangel Gabriel in hiding. The Trickster/Gabriel/Loki was played by the very talented Richard Speight jr and I had a new favorite character. So on LiveJournal I have an account where I dabble in writing fanfiction and took a request to write a fic where I decided to go into Gabriel's past while pretending to be Loki. To get it right I ended up having to research Loki and this is where my relationship with Loki began.

I will freely admit it didn't start very reverently I mean seriously I read the story about how he ended up being Sleipnir's mom almost died laughing and decided I had to read more about Loki since he sounded like an awesome character and to me, and at the time that's all he was a character in a story. Nothing happened for the longest time I continued to read stories about Loki every so often, but didn't think of it as much more than just mythology. Then something happened every since I was very little I've always seen ghosts and spirits it's not an everyday thing and no I do go around going "I see dead people." but it has happened on and off for as long as I can remember. Now I come from a very devout Christian background my family has been a mix of Methodist/Baptist/Pentecostal and I'm from the rural Appalachian South so faith in the Christian God was something I as raised on. It however was not something I exclusively stuck with from the age of fourteen when my aunt unwittingly gave me a book on Wicca I dabbled with in it. Then in my twenties under pressure from my family I decided to give it up and become a Christian something that never truly clicked for me it always seemed to be missing something and I always seemed to have to hide parts of myself to fit in with their doctrine. So for nearly a decade I avoided practicing Wicca and ignored my natural talents and tried to make myself be a good Christian but really I was miserable because I was never really feeling it and growing very tired of the charade so I stopped attending church and started ducking the questions of my friends and family as to why. I still hadn't made up my mind to start practicing Wicca again but i had decided I needed at least a break from Christianity and Norse Paganism wasn't even on the horizon yet as far as I knew. Then it happened I saw a ghost again nothing huge just a wandering spirit walking down a country road as my fiance kids and I were driving to his brothers house this time however I wasn't the only one to see it my son and fiance did as well.

So my son started asking questions and as I tried answering them I found myself going to lots of sites on the internet looking for my own answers from this I decided I really did want to start practicing Wicca again. I was always fairly good with the pendulum and I'd been having some odd things happen where I had been feeling a presence nothing threatening but something much stronger than anything I had ever felt before that so I decided to use the pendulum to try and get some answers. My fourteen year old son Nathan walked in on me while I was using the pendulum and asked if he could try it after some deliberation I decided to let him and he asked so can I try to talk to one spirit in particular I told him yes he could try Nathan who I had just told some of the stories about Loki to wanted to try and contact Loki I was like Nathan I'm not sure that's such  good idea and was trying to talk him out of it when the pendulum started to swing wildly actually pulling itself from Nathan's grasp I picked it up and it once again started spinning wildly so I asked

"Is this Loki?"

The pendulum indicated yes.

Do you want to talk to us

Yes

We're not bothering you are we?

No

From there we had a very interesting conversation via the pendulum and Loki's answers seemed to suggest somewhere in our family's history some ancestors had been devoted to him. From then on Loki started coming around it's now May and the past few months have been interesting as his presence in my life and the lives of my family has become stronger. 


   
                  

1 comment:

  1. Merry Meet! Just wanted to leave a friendly message of thanks. It's not very often we find those who follow Loki; incredibly rarer are the instances of non-dabblers who find they've actually been "chosen" by Loki. As I had been openly Wiccan for several years before coming to find that Loki had been a major part of my life from as far back as I have memories, I was often hesitant to mention him as a Patron God. Although I'm finding more open-mindedness than in the past, Loki is so often portrayed as some source of evil incarnate (although the rest of us know his "evilest" of his deeds were conducted while under the negative influence of the manipulative, evil witch, Gullveig and quite necessary in the larger scheme of things) that to honor Loki or any of the Trickster and Destroyer gods as a Patron is not always looked upon lightly in Wicca. Thank you for coming out and sharing your experiences with Loki. He likes to shake things up, so be ready for an adventure!

    Blessings,
    Evy

    ReplyDelete